One thing you don’t want to be during the coming “crunch” — a polite word for “collapse” — is dependent on the system. The more you can take care of yourself, the better off you’ll be physically, financially, emotionally and even spiritually.
Here are 20 ways to become more self-sufficient while you still can:
1) Get a small solar system that can be used to run a laptop or recharge batteries
2) Drill a water well and install a hand pump or solar-powered DC pump
3) Set up a rainwater collection system or barrel
4) Stash some cash: stock away some green dollar bills and lots of U.S. nickels
5) Own and learn how to use a handgun, rifle and shotgun
6) Store some ammunition
7) Own and know how to use a water filter
8) Start a garden this spring and acquire more food production skills
9) Save garden seeds so you can plant the next generation of food
10) Acquire a wood-burning stove for heat and cooking
11) Possess a large quantity of stored food; enough for at least 90 days
12) Get to know your local farmers and ranchers
13) Store up valuable barter items that are relatively cheap today: Alcohol, coffee, ammo, matches, etc.
14) Safely store extra vehicle fuel (gasoline, diesel) at your home or ranch
Be sure to use fuel stabilizers to extend their life.
15) Learn emergency first aid skills and own first aid supplies
This could save a life or possibly save a trip to the emergency room.
16) Start growing your own medicine
Plant and grow aloe vera, oregano, garlic, cayenne pepper and other medicinal herbs that can replace a surprisingly large number of prescription drugs. Oregano, for example, is a potent antibiotic. Aloe vera treats cuts, scrapes and burns.
17) Own emergency hand-cranked radios so you can tune in to news and announcements
18) Boost your immune system with vitamin D and superfoods
19) Increase your level of physical fitness
20) Learn how to raise animals such as rabbits, chickens, goats or cows.
via 20 ways to become more self-sufficient before ‘the crunch’ arrives – NaturalNews.com.