In this day and age, one can never know when something untoward might happen. It seems that even the most advanced countries still have their shares of criminals.
One thing you can do to avoid being a victim is to learn self-defense. Here are some tips you can try if you want to learn how to defend yourself.
- Being aware of your surroundings is the first thing you should learn – the first line of self-defense you can employ is to be aware. You need to be alert and pay attention. You’ll be surprised at how many incidents can be avoided if people will just be aware of their surroundings. What bad guys like to do is surprise people who are distracted. Stop looking at your phone all the time, look and listen to everything around you. If you’ve watched animal documentaries that show hunters getting their prey, there is always the element of surprise, so lessen that element of surprise by always looking around.
- You need to make sure that you are working out to improve your physical fitness – if you want to employ self-defense techniques when needed, it’s important to realize that if you are not physically fit, then you might actually be endangering yourself. You don’t need to go to the gym. Make sure you do cardio exercises to get your heart healthy. If you have dumbbells, use them so that can increase your upper body strength.
- You must also be eating a healthy diet – getting regular exercise is always coupled with a healthy diet. Try to stay away from fatty and processed food, and lessen your intake of white rice and sweets, especially if you are just starting to get physically active. You want to have a good endurance, especially if you want to take up some form of martial arts as a step in your quest to know more about self-defense.
- Get professional instructions if you want to know more – if you want to know more than just the basics, there are actually several martial arts or self-defense classes you can take to further add to your skills. But remember that it takes commitment to do so. You will need to be disciplined as it will require a lot of time, effort. Especially if you are not very sporty, to begin with, learning a new skill such as jiu jitsu or taekwondo or krav maga might take its toll on your body. But if you are determined to know how to protect yourself in this day and age, then you will not mind all the pain and sacrifice while you are learning.
- Invest in a self-defense weapon – you may also want to buy a weapon that can help you when it comes to self-defense. But make sure that in choosing a weapon for self-defense, you will have done a lot of research and also acquired the proper skills necessary to handle said weapons.